Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Birth Of A Minor Poet


                                  Birth Of A Minor Poet                                       

                                                            An Easter Story

          She handed the book to me. Her smile curved in the shape of a giant slice of watermelon.

          "Here. You gotta  read this," my friend said.

          "What is this? More books?" I tried to balance the book in my hands and control my  frustration. It was a bit heavy and looked dusty, old, dull. I had enough material to read. 

          "You'll like it. It might just take you places," she said. I stared at the watermelon resurfacing. This friend had recommended books before and many times following her advice had paid off.



            Two days later I open the book and for the first time noticed its format. I turned pages to find  works of writer friends,  Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Passages of same scenes written by each of these authors had been placed side by side. It made it easy to compare the same stories the writers described but each with a different voice and style. My friend had given me what is titled as Synopsis of the Four Gospels. Most people I know seem to recognize it by its nickname now, The Gospels In Stereo.

           It was the week before Easter and I chose to spend any spare time I had in solitude, reading and studying  passages of The Last Supper and the Crucifixion. What happened then I attribute to great concentration and a well-exercised imagination. In an instant I was among them, invisible yet present, caught in the drama...an agonizing bystander. A vision jolted me into Jerusalem, 33 A.D.   

        Soon after, among the pain brought by my identification with the suffering One, I experienced the unfamiliar.Words, with angry speed, tumbled  from my pen to the paper. A poem. My first poem. 

       The Vision, the poem, was well received the first night I visited TWA's poetry group. A gentle leader liked it and encouraged me to keep writing. The Vision was once used at Busch Gardens, Tampa, in a lecture/devotional, requested of me as a volunteer chaplain for the employees of Busch Gardens.    

          Today, The Vision  stands in a picture frame in our home. It lives to remind me...

                I follow dusty feet in Jerusalem sandals. I'm happiest when I stay low,

                                                 my cheek next to the Savior's scars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment