Tuesday, February 12, 2013

BY THE EASTERN GATE




                                                   BY THE EASTERN GATE                                  


              He told us how he found her when he came home. The wife that stood in the drive way early that morning, kissed him and then, waved goodbye. He found the wife he loved so much, when he came home for lunch, on the floor lifeless after a heart attack.

            He said, "Some Sundays ago we heard a sermon about heaven. After hearing the sermon about heaven she whispered to me, I will meet you by The Eastern Gate."

              The Eastern Gate. Many of us believe there is one in heaven like the one in Jerusalem.

               Last Valentine's Day this story of the professor kept coming back to me. Haunting me.

                I thought of what I would want my husband to know ... and how I would  want to

                 wait for him by the Eastern Gate. Below is the poem I will leave in my Bible ... for him

                 to find.

                                      
                                            
                                         BY THE EASTERN GATE                         
 

                                             When my eyelids close

                                             And seize to flutter,

                                             Like the wings

                                            Of sleeping butterflies,

                                            And my life then rests,

                                             From all given tests,

                                             I will meet you love,

                                             Like a yearning dove,

                                             By The Eastern Gate,

                                             Never to be late...

 

                                             When my heart reposes,

                                             And I see thorn less roses,

                                             In that other sphere

                                             Void of earthly fear,

                                             I will meet you love,

                                             Like a yearning dove,

                                             By The Eastern Gate,

                                             Never to be late...

 

                                              And when your final kiss,

                                              Comes upon my lips,
                                              And thoughts of past hellos,

                                              Come to bring you woes,

                                               Hold this song in mind,

                                               Echoes of a world,

                                               Of another kind...

 

                                               I will meet you love,

                                               Like a yearning dove,

                                               By The Eastern Gate,

                                               Never to be late.

                                               Never to be late....

1 comment: