Thursday, July 23, 2015

A LETTER TO MY MOTHER ON HER NATAL DAY, JULY 23, 2015 ... mail going long distance!




A Letter To My Mother On Her Natal Day, July 23, 2015 … mail going long distance!

“Her children arise and call her blessed….”  Proverbs 31:28 (NIV)


                                                                                

Dear Mami,

         Are you watching me from your balcony above? How I wish you were here. This would have been your 90th birthday. Happy Birthday, sweet Mami.

        I have so much I want to share just in case you didn't know.This year, the book you encouraged me to write, Cuban-American, Dancing On The Hyphen, made it all the way to Oregon State University! I know that must have you dancing on the hyphen with a new body and with no horrible arthritic pains. Is Papi dancing too? Did I make him proud with the book?
                              
      
   I miss you down here. It’s not the same without your sayings, your Cuban cooking, your many prayers and your wonderful antics that sometimes made us call you Mrs. Magoo!  
                                                                                                                                        
     
  I’ve kept your rockers. They remind me of all those times you shared your life with me on your porch.                                                                                           
                                                                                                  

      
      And we still have the house. I kept your favorite picture of me as a bride where you left it on the wall. Somehow I feel connected to you every time I pass by it. Your little prayer room is very much the same too ... a symbol of the faith you passed down to us and of your love for the land you left behind.                                                                                         
 
                             

       
     Happy Birthday, my Mami. Dance away with Papi. I promise you both I’ll continue to work hard to make you proud.
                                                                                   
                                                             
                                                      All my love, Tu hija,      
                                                  Amarilys
                             P.S. I'm finally using the name you gave me!
                                             
 
                                                                  

                                       

 

 

2 comments: