Friday, March 23, 2012

Acting To Write - First Class


Acting To Write - First Class

         On the left wall, floor to ceiling mirrors reflect my movements. Comical... I'm already a mime? The room probably used as a dance studio has a sense of openness. Openness. I covet that same sense for my mind and heart. I want to absorb much from this class. I check out my watch... ten minutes to class and no one else here but  mirrors, chairs, and echoes of silence.

         Another look around and I detect the white easel board with the letters. ING. What is that?

The door slams open and people scurry. College age girls and guys, three ladies appearing to be in their forties, young men, Hispanic, Black, fill seats. I think Oh Lord, give me someone my age. Two more ladies come in. Bingo! They're about my age. Eh... the age of a woman with children in their thirties and with grandchildren. All  join me in the circle of chairs. The group about twenty.  A figure strolls in with white T-shirt and cap. His skin's beautiful darker than dark. Like rich Austrian chocolates. He opens his lips. "Hi, my name is Rammney. I'm your Acting teacher for the summer semester. Welcome." 

          His lips stay open with a wide smile and his teeth...his teeth look like the white keys on a brand new piano. Just minutes flash and  he already has my liking and  "a glue to that piano"  attention. I'm thinking Rammney will play sweet music for us with that smile.

          He lets us talk. Each one takes turns. We learn something about each other, the reasons we're  here. Some come encouraged by bosses, who thought they needed more confidence in their jobs, making presentations. Others're here for the real deal. They want to go to Hollywood. Then, there're those like me, who want to experience the world of acting. And one also like me, that desires  to use the experience in order to improve her writing.

         The tales shared, Rammney stands up to teach.

      "Ok. The first lesson in Acting is ING." He touches the board. "Anybody knows what I mean?"  The room is mute. Everyone waiting for the bird of wisdom to descend and nest.  

        "ING. Stands for what we attach to the end of action words.  Acting is DOING! Remember that. Acting is DOING!"  Rammney points at the board once more then, takes the marker and begins to write.

           "The second lesson in Acting is, what does your character want? Again, what does your character want? He or she has to want something...and want it BAD."

             The two hours speed by like winks. After, I drive home in a daze sorting out the information, trying to organize thoughts into their right drawers. How was all this going to help my writing?



                P.S. How would the information of that first class help a writer?  Could any of my writing friends share? Like to know if someone sees something different from what I receive.

2 comments:

  1. do...ing

    write...ing

    Putt...ing your thouhts into words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! A voice responding! I like your thoughts about the teachings. If any thing else comes up let me know. I'm still trying to get all the juice out of the info from that class.

    ReplyDelete