Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Courage To Write

    

        These are the most precious words from a relative who read my book, Cuban-American, Dancing On The Hyphen, "It took courage to write it." That person doesn't know that about six years ago, I sat at Panera Bread reading, The Courage To Write, trying to convince myself to begin writing.

         Often when I write I go through "my willies." I envision myself at a crowded airport. I have to open my suitcase in front of many eyes... the eyes of a jury. They're going to see I'm not an expert packer. My clothes are spread everywhere,  my jeans aren't Calvin Klein but Wal-Mart's Faded Glory, and  my make up isn't Clinique but Maybelline. Fear of personal exposure. Terrified they'll see I don't own the best equipment. I hear my inner jurors' screams... guilty,guilty,guilty!
  
          It's then, I read the little card I carry with me. "Write what disturbs you, what you fear, what you have not been willing to speak about. Be willing to be split open."   From Wild Mind by
                                                                                                             Natalie Goldberg      

                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment