Sunday, May 27, 2012

THE LETTERS

     THE LETTERS
                                                                             


              Dear Checkie,

              Here we're once again. You, close by my side in the bed we three have shared for over eleven years.

How I think of the first day we saw you. Your Pop watched you climb to the top of the mountain your brothers made with their little bodies cuddled together and you at the top of the heap.

           "That dog is bright. If he were human he be a lawyer. That's it. That dog is for me!"

            The rest is history ... the history of the Jack Russell terrier that took off with our hearts. Your quirks that puzzled us. Your psychosis with the opening of soda cans.  The crazy twirling, jumping and barking every time you heard the pop! I will never stop seeing you at the pop of a can.  

            How can we ever go again to the mountains and not remember the eight years of making you fall scarves and your pillow case to match? You rode on my lap on that pillow all the way to Georgia. An extension of ourselves. A limb easily grafted into our lives by your constant adoration. A limb soon to be ripped from us. Checkers, dear Checkie, my Checkie....

          Dear Mom,
          Mom, don't you know? I can understand you now! Since the last time we saw my vet something happened! That mumbled jumble of  blah,blah,blah, then, the understood word, treats! The sounds made, like gibberish, I can understand all of it now MOM! No more blah, blah, blah. But Mom why do you and Pop keep leaking? Every time you bend down and kiss me I feel it Mom. Something like a leaky faucet. Mom, you got to get that fixed. And, Mom ... what do you mean by holding me and whispering?

      "Checkie, I'm leaving a bell on our front door. Hoping and praying that when my turn comes they send you to get me. Gotta get your wings, my little buddy." 

          Dear Checkie,

               Had to write again. Can't say too much around you. It seems different now. Almost like you understand. It helps to write you letters. Oh, my doggy, tomorrow is the day. Your Pop has chosen a place of rest for you that we can see sitting in the pool area. We know how much you loved to swim with us. Oh, Checkie, the vet will come to us. Too hard to do this in a frigid office. Our Little Muscle....

                Dear Mom,

                Mom, I got a big ball heavy on my butt. It drags me down. Why am I so sleepy, Mom? I don't like my food. Well, maybe still like chicken. Mom, why don't you smile anymore? Your leak is worse Mom. Mom, I love you Mom.  Feel funny. Gotta be around you now. Closer. Something's happening to me. Want to be on you, Mom. Or Pop.

                                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment