Monday, May 7, 2012

Mother's Day Blog

                    MOTHER'S DAY BLOG                                          To my mothers, I love you!
  

                                                     Mother's Day...A Happening           
                                                          Cuban and American


           The hands pulled my strands of hair softly. My mother worked my tresses, rolling them into papelillos, paper bag strips...a way of curling hair in Cuba during the fifties.        

            Except for our hair my sister and I were ready to go. It was Mother's Day and my mother dressed us alike. She copied a pattern from the fancy stores in Havana, those that brought in the stylish garments from the States, and she paid a seamstress to make the dresses. Ruffles, lace and pastel colors dazzled our outfits...matching bows on our hair. The Gacio girls appeared dressed like any well dressed American girls on Mother's Day...except for one thing. They both had a special adornment pinned to the top of their dress. A red rosebud.

             My mother wore a similar red flower though larger on her dress but when my Abuela Tata came in I soon noticed hers was different, snow white. So I asked...

             "Mami, we wear red flowers and Abuela Tata white? Is it because she doesn't like red?"

             My mother took me aside and whispered. "No, Mayi. It's because her mamá is in heaven. Ours are here with us. The Cuban custom is to wear a flower on Mother's Day To honor your mamá. The color chosen tells where your mamá is."

             Every time I saw my Abuela Tata that day I looked at her white rose and felt sad for her. No mamá.
   
       My Two Mothers / Cuban

      The first mother I ever knew is my Cuban mother. She nursed me through the illness, called polio, when I was four. She worked so hard trying to give life to what lacked it...my leg. She patiently and constantly draped heated cloths on my paralyzed leg, following the doctor's orders. When we came to live in  the states, for a very long time, my mother bought very few garments for herself. Always the concentration remained on her daughters. She didn't want us to be embarrassed if we had to attend a school function. Any money that could be spared went for the benefit of her girls. My Cuban mother taught me what it is like to love sacrificially.  



        My Two Mothers / American

       An American lady came into my life more than thirty years ago. I was going through a trauma and became an emotional and spiritual cripple. This lady brought in the light. She worked so hard trying to give life to what lacked it...my soul. She understood what I was going through and she patiently stayed and prayed with me till the storm passed. Her kindness and example motivates me, even to this day to help others going through the same kinds of experiences. This lady honors me by calling me her Cuban daughter.

                                      My mother, Hilda Gacio.   My mother, Betty Robinson.
                                                   CUBAN                        AMERICAN
                                               
     Once again, this Mother's day, I'll be on the hyphen. One arm around my Cuban mother and one arm around my American mother.

     This Mother's Day, the Lord willing, we will have a family reunion at our house. In the air will be the Cuban's favorite scent of a clean house, Pinesol, competing with the aroma of my husband's American style turkey with stuffing. There will be flan and apple pie. The happy rumble of Spanish spoken by many at once will rock us all with laughter when we can't understand the words spoken. And the American order of a meal ready on time will still baffle me. This Mother's Day I will sit on my hyphen and once again love it all. And on our table there will be...red roses.




  


                                                 
                                                                  
                        

No comments:

Post a Comment